Pills or capsules are a great innovative way to take your cannabis. This method eliminates smoking, which is linked to respiratory problems and a smoky breath. It also avoids the sugars and unwanted calories that come with edibles.
Although capsules are edibles themselves, they are the perfect, safe, and effective oral cannabis consumption method. It’s easy to define your dose with pills to ensure that all you take in is the quantity of cannabis your body can effectively metabolize. The icing on the cake is that you can make the canna capsules yourself. It is so easy, and all you need is some tools and a few hours.
Master the simple DIY pills and capsule method below.
What You Need
- Organic coconut oil
- About an ounce of marijuana
- Marijuana grinder
- Gelatin capsules or cellulose for vegan consumers
- Baking tray
- Soy lecithin
- Parchment paper
- A pot
- Glass bowl
- Fine strainer or cheesecloth with some rubber bands
- Syringe or capsule filling machine
- Since your weed is fresh from the store, the first task is to decarboxylate it. Begin by preheating your oven to 220 degrees Fahrenheit. Get your baking tray and line it with the parchment paper.
- As you wait for the oven to heat up, take out your cannabis flower buds, and start breaking them apart. A grinder eases the work and reduces the buds into small bits. Be careful not to grind your weed into a powder as that would render it useless. If you don’t have a grinder, place your weed on a tray and dice it into small pieces with a knife.
- When the oven is preheated, place your tray containing ground cannabis inside the oven. Allow the weed to bake for 30 to 45 minutes. A word of caution is that your oven should have the ability to hold a specific temperature. Very high temperatures above 250 degrees Fahrenheit will deteriorate the quality of your weed. Once you have decarboxylated your weed, do not switch off the oven as you will need it in a little while.
- For this step, use a pan and bowl to create a double boiler. Heat the coconut oil and soy lecithin in the bowl dipped in boiling water, and once melted, add the ground cannabis. Mix all the contents of the bowl thoroughly until well-blended.
- Take out the small bowl from the boiling pot and pour out the hot water in the pot. After drying the pot with a cloth, pour out the soy lecithin, coconut oil, and marijuana mixture into the pot. Place the pot inside the hot oven and leave it in there for another 30 to 45 minutes. Open the oven every 10 minutes and stir.
- Once the time has elapsed, pull the pot from inside the oven. Fold your cheesecloth into two and fasten it to the top of the jar using rubber bands. If you have a strainer with very fine holes, you may use it too. Pour out the mixture through the strainer or cheesecloth and let it drain into the jar beneath. When using the cheesecloth, squeeze it out to bring out any remaining fluid.
- Allow the oil in the jar to cool down completely before attempting to fill your capsules. If you fill the capsules with hot oil, they will melt. However, don’t let it cool entirely because it might turn solid.
- Get busy as you are waiting for the oil to cool down. Get your gelatin or cellulose capsules and pull their tops off. Arrange them on the table in a way that you can access them easily. If you own a capsule-filling machine, you need not arrange the capsules. Just follow the instructions given in your machine manual. Luckily, capsule filling machines are inexpensive, and users can purchase them easily.
- After the THC oil has cooled considerably, use an eyedropper or a syringe to fill your capsules halfway. The smaller half of the capsule should be on top so you can use it to close the filled larger piece. This process is more straightforward with a capsule filling machine.
- Fill the capsules with all the oil available. If the capsules end up with oil or feeling sticky on the outside, place them on a paper towel and dab them a bit to dry them.
This process should get you 45-50 capsules.
Other Tips for Making THC Pills and Capsules
One good tip when making oil capsules is to use cellulose capsules. They do not melt as quickly as the gelatin ones. Hence, they last longer. Otherwise, the gelatin capsules may start to melt after a few days of holding the liquid.
One trick many users do is to avoid filling all the capsules on day one. The oil you prepared may be enough to last a month, but your capsules may not last that long. As such, some people only fill a few capsules for a week’s supply and then keep the rest of the oil in a syringe. Fill the capsules in batches based on your consumption needs each week. This practice prevents wastage.
Another important thing to keep in mind is that THC pills and gel capsules are edibles. As such, they take significantly longer to bring an effect compared to other methods. The high from smoking or vaping weed comes quick, but that of edibles must honor the digestion process. The time between ingestion and onset is one to four hours. So, even if you don’t feel anything 30 minutes after, don’t add to your dose. Be patient and wait a little longer. Indulging in more may lead to overconsumption that could get you too intoxicated and cause unwanted effects.
With an understanding of how THC pills and gel capsules work, go ahead and make some yourself. There may be times when you lack access to a marijuana dispensary, and these pills are a great option to have. They are also easy to dose as you will only consume a pill per day. However, if you want to skip the entire preparation process, get your capsules from CBD&Shrooms. We also stock high-quality marijuana and marijuana products.